Educate your clients and renters with Maine Association of REALTORS® FireSMART materials and resources.
MAR Materials and Resources
Landlord & Tenant Reminders
- Keep smoke detectors in working order
- Test smoke detectors regularly
- Keep hallways clutter-free
- Use electrical appliances properly
- Check cooking frequently
- Install smoke detectors
- Maintain smoke detectors
- Keep all exits clear
- Keep stairs and halls debris-free
- Provide bedroom escape window
Facts and Figures on Home Fire Safety
Source: NFPA’s “Home Fires Involving Heating Equipment” report by Richard Campbell, April 2016.
- Nearly half (49%) of all home heating fires occurred in December, January, and February.
- Space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for two of every five (40%) of home heating fires.
- The leading factor contributing to home heating fires (30%) was failure to clean, principally creosote from solid fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys.