GRI

Graduate REALTOR® Institute

What is GRI?

GRI (Graduate, REALTOR® Institute) is the first of the professional designations available to members of the National Association of REALTORS®. Its comprehensive curriculum is designed to give the student a broad spectrum of all aspects of real estate brokerage, with an emphasis on residential sales.

The designation is earned by students who have successfully completed the course of study, which takes approximately 96 clock hours. The curriculum is divided into six, two-day sessions (modules). Certain modules may have alternative ways to meet the criteria – such as a challenge exam or other completion of another related course. Please see the MAR website at http://www.mainerealtors.com, then GRI, to get the list of options.

Approximately 80% of the curriculum is prescribed by NAR; the remaining 20% is left to the individual state’s discretion, allowing the various GRI programs to adapt to specific concerns in their area.

Why GRI?

Any real estate professional who plans on being in the business more than two years should make GRI part of their own professional growth plan. The GRI designation is often a prerequisite for more specialized designations in the real estate industry.

The Graduate, REALTOR® Institute (GRI) designation is a powerful tool to attract and build new business. You'll increase your skill level across the entire landscape of real estate with in-depth training in legal and regulatory issues, technology, professional standards, and the sales process. The GRI designation is maintained by remaining a member in good-standing with the REALTOR® organization, without additional fees.
Learn more here!

NAR reports that earning a GRI can make a difference in your business and potentially boost your income. REALTORS® with the designation:

  • Based on the 2011 survey data, the median income of REALTORS without a designation was $26,900 and the median income of those with at least one designation was $49,300. A difference of $22,400.
  • Reported an increase in referrals in the first year after they obtained their designation.
  • Are better able to serve and protect their increasingly sophisticated clients because of their understanding of new technology, laws, and procedures.

GRI Designation / Course Requirements

GRI Frequently Asked Questions

GRI Modules Verification Completion Form