The Maine Association of REALTORS® Political Action Committee and the National REALTORS® Association Political Action Committee exist solely to further issues important to REALTORS®. MARPAC and RPAC help advance the interest of Real Estate Professionals, the Real Estate Industry and help promote and protect homeownership in Maine.
Recent Maine Legislative Accomplishments Benefiting REALTORS®
- Eliminated the duplicative state lead paint form resulting in a one page form rather than three.
- Repealed radon testing requirements for seasonal rentals of less than 100 days.
- Voided the imposition of private transfer fees which would have hindered the future sale or financing of private property.
- Amended vernal pool laws to exempt those portions of a pool bisected by a property line not deemed significant.
- Implemented positive changes to Maine’s Uniform Building and Energy Code, including discontinuing its applicability in towns of under 4,000.
- Prevented increased recording fees which would have resulted in higher closing costs.
Recent National Legislative Accomplishments Benefiting REALTORS®
- Congress Reauthorized National Flood Insurance Program for 5 Years. Passage of the 5-year reauthorization brings certainty to real estate transactions in more than 21,000 communities nationwide where flood insurance is required for a mortgage.
- VA Loan Limits Reinstated. This will restore the higher loan limits for VA guaranteed loans through 2014.
- Extension of Mortgage Cancellation Relief. This includes a relief provision to limit the impact of the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) in 2012 and 2013.