2014 President Angelia Levesque
14 Questions for Angelia
Angelia Levesque is the 2014 President of the Maine Association of REALTORS®. A REALTOR® since 2005, she is a broker with Better Homes and Gardens/The Masiello Group in Bangor. Angelia was the Greater Bangor Association's Board President in 2011, served 4 years on her local board, served as MAR President-Elect and MAR First Vice President; and was the 2012 Greater Bangor Association REALTOR® of the Year. Angelia has served on numerous MAR and NAR committees, and has been a MARPAC Major Donor since 2011. She lives in Bangor with her husband Rick Bronson and their dogs Mannie and Bundle, and Gus the cat. Her email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Why did you start in real estate? I had enough of working nights and weekends in the restaurant and retail trades and wanted to set my own schedule. Little did I know! Now I’m the one that decides that, yes, I will work night and weekends!
2) What was your first sale? My first sale came just in time! I was three months into my new career and contemplating not getting a regular paycheck. It is very scary when you first start out on your own. I had floor duty and a lovely lady was looking to sell her home in Brewer. I was in my car at her house in minutes!!! I’m happy to say it all went well, and she has been a repeat client of mine.
3) What was your favorite sale? I really love what I do. First time home buyers tug at my emotional side. It is so much fun to help a family or individual make that all important first major move. On the other hand, this summer I had a great guy named Steve call me and say “Angelia my house in Colorado is under contract and I’m moving to Maine.” I had been talking with him for over a year and his dream was to move he and his wife to Maine and live in a ranch house by a lake and hear the loons. He did it! I couldn’t be happier for them. Thinking about this story always makes me smile.
4) What is something people may not know about you? They obviously haven’t friended me on Facebook. I am a pretty open book. In my 20’s I ran lighting controls for bands. I have only one ear so running the sound board was out of the question.
5) What led you to the Presidency of the Maine Association of REALTORS® (MAR)? Getting involved with my local board as a Director and then President was the first step. That gave me a chance to meet the MAR leadership team and staff. The more I became involved, the more I wanted to do. I am very lucky to have so many great former MAR Presidents to watch and learn from.
6) What would you like members to know about MAR? That we are here for them! This is their organization and our job is to help them and our profession. Please become involved. If we don’t lead the way, who will? Real estate is what we do, day in and day out. We are the experts because we are in constant communication with homebuyers, sellers and lenders. We are the voice of real estate in Maine.
7) What would you like members to know about the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR)? Attend a national event, Mid Year Conference in DC or the Annual Convention in New Orleans and see and hear our national leaders for yourself. We have a very passionate, bright, energetic President this year; Steve Brown from Ohio. Steve is all about change and not afraid of implementation. He is looking to bring both the Young Professional Network group and Commercial REALTORS into a more active role in NAR.
8) What is most important to our industry right now? With Federal and State budgets under strain we will once again see legislatures looking at housing. Our message that the Mortgage Interest Deduction is not a loophole but a long term part of the tax code is big. In 2014, the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will create changes in how lenders and title companies do business. And it's an election year in Maine! We need to help elect candidates who support REALTOR issues. MAR and NAR will be keeping an eye on all of this and more.
9) What advice would you give to REALTORS®? So many little problems would not grow if we were better at communication. So let us know, how would you like to hear from MAR?: email, hard copy through the post office mail, text, facebook, twitter, video, google hangout, website or a mixture? That said, here’s how you can communicate with me. Angelia.email@example.com is the best way. If you just want to know more about my dogs and what I’m cooking, find me on facebook (let me know you are a Maine REALTOR). On Twitter I am @Alevesque we also have @mainerealtors and that will be more active this year.
10) What is a disappointment for you? N/A I can't focus on disappointments.
11) What is your favorite way to spend time? With Rick, Bundle, Mannie and Gus and any other family members that want to come along. We have an RV and often take the show on the road. Maine is a beautiful state with so much to see. It’s hard to just stay in one spot all the time.
12) If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Play the piano and speak a foreign language.
13) What's on your ipod play list? Carly Simon, April Smith and The Great Picture Show, Deanna Bogart, Alyssa Bonagura, Adele, James Taylor, Nickelback, Will Smith
14) What will be your focus for the Maine Association of REALTORS® for 2014? Listening and talking to membership to see what you want from our association. Educating members on the issues that are impacting our industry. Encouraging involvement! Together we have a huge impact.